Sunday, December 16, 2012

34. Santigold

34. Santigold - Master of My Make-Believe

Santi White, who goes by the stagename Santigold, which was originally Santogold, but she changed it to avoid a potential lawsuit. She was a double major in music and African-American studies at Wesleyan University. She also worked at EMI, produced and co-wrote Res' debut album and played in the punk band, Stiffed. Her debut album came out in 2008 and would have made my top 50, if I had been doing this that year. Her new album is pure genius. I was in a bookstore in San Francisco and Shazam'ed the selection of songs they were playing, and sure enough, this was the album. I love when I have a 'what is this' moment, and it's someone I already adore. If you haven't heard or seen her yet, she's unbelievable. Mixing genres like hip-hop, punk, electronica, rock and goth.

Website

Facebook

Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment