Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Top 10 Bands That Should Have Made The Top 50 But Didn't

I don't know...I wish I would have had time to listen to all the music I got in 2009, but there was just no way, so I think, looking back, these LP's would have made my top 50 if perhaps I had only had a little more time. These are in no particular order.

1. Au Revoir Simone - Still Night, Still Light



Three beautiful ladies from Brooklyn, NY making mesmerizing, dreamy electronic pop. Their name comes from a character in Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure. One of my favorite bands of all time. I could listen to them for days. They did a video project with David Lynch earlier this year.



MP3: Knight of Wands - not available

Myspace
Website

2. The xx - The xx


Debut album from London trio, their emotive 80's guitar rock mixed with samples and r&b provide a unique sound that is difficult to leave alone. I have really enjoyed this LP the few times I've heard it and am looking forward to listening to it more.



MP3: Islands - not available

Myspace
Website


3. The Juan MacLean - The Future Will Come


The Juan MacLean is brainchild of one John MacLean from New Hampshire. Formed out of the ashes of Six Finger Satellite, The Juan Maclean fuses genres of post-punk, 70's experimental electronics, euro-disco, house and detroit techno. Great hooks, great lyrics and a funky beat to boot.



MP3: Accusations - not available

Myspace
Website


4. God Help the Girl - God Help the Girl


God Help the Girl is a movie set to start filming in 2010 written by Stuart Murdoch of Belle and Sebastian. There was an open call to pick the vocalists and the winners are featured on this soundtrack. It includes two Belle and Sebastian songs, Funny Little Frog and Acts of the Apostle. Stuart said these songs weren't for Belle and Sebastian...I don't get it, but whatever he thinks, it's still good.



MP3: Come Monday Night - not available

Myspace
Website

5. Headlights - Wildlife


A cute little indie pop band from Champaign, Illinois, Headlights last two LP's have been in constant rotation for the last few years. For whatever reason I haven't picked this up yet, I probably will get it from them when they play in Norman in March, which I am very much looking forward to.



MP3: Get Going

Myspace
Website


6. The Hidden Cameras - Origin:Orphan


I just discovered this band this year quite by accident. It's fronted by Joel Gibb who describes their music as "gay church folk music". They have a revolving lineup much like their Canadian brethren Broken Social Scene. I was just watching one of their live shows and it looks like a lot of fun, with about twenty people on stage. Their videos, which I posted below, are certainly creative, I'll give them that. I picked up their last LP last year and have worn it out. I look forward to listening to their new one.





MP3: Walk On - not available

Myspace
Website


7. Fool's Gold - Fool's Gold


Fool's Gold is an Afro-pop influenced band out of Los Angeles and has a revolving lineup as well. The central characters are Luke Top (real name Nativ Top) and Lewis Pesacov. Luke Top often sings in Hebrew and members of bands like Foreign Born and Glasser help fill in as well. No wonder I like this stuff.



MP3: Nadine - not available

Myspace



8. YACHT - See Mystery Lights
Former male half of The Blow, Jona Bechtolt is from Portland and produces electronic based music. He is also a highly visual person using lots of multimedia in his shows. He just recently signed Claire Evans to the 'band'. 'Psychic City is getting lots of airplay right now. I love the fact that this video has a disclaimer.




MP3: The Afterlife - not available

Myspace
Website


9. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca


Another band from the Brooklyn music scene with ties to the Portland scene as well, this is some killer experimental indie pop. I love what I've heard from this so far and look forward to their show at the Norman Music Festival later this year.



MP3: No Intention - not available

Myspace
Website


10. Hockey - Mind Chaos



Hockey is a band I don't know much about. They're from the Portland music scene and the few times I've listened to their stuff I like it...I am throwing this in rotation.


Too Fake Music Video

hockey | MySpace Music Videos


MP3 deleted because Hockey is on a major label

Myspace
Website













1 comment:

  1. Well, I have tried to successfully post this numerous times, only to have it pulled by Google, because some band in this post does not want me releasing their music or supporting them. What I have learned is to do individual posts and not combine bands in one post, since Google will not tell me who is complaining about the content on my site. It seems that if someone is going to accuse me of violation of copyright law, that I should know who the accuser is, and so should you. So, I have removed all MP3's except Headlights, because I know that song was released by the band to use. If you would like to listen to these bands in more detail, contact me by email or through a social media network.

    ReplyDelete