Wednesday, January 6, 2010

6. The Rural Alberta Advantage


6. The Rural Alberta Advantage-
Hometowns

Guess where this group is from? Just guess...you're right...Alberta, Canada. Arguably one of the best releases this year, Nils Edenloff writes solemn songs that are dusty and heart-felt just like the small towns he sings about. You can hear the rawness in his voice, which is what I love about it. It reminds me of Neutral Milk Hotel, only with an amazing drummer and a hint of electro-pop. Amy Cole's duets with Nils are sweet and sorrowful. I saw them at the Conservatory just recently and the best part of the show was at the end when the group unplugged, walked into the audience (placing them 1 foot in front of me) and sang a stripped down acoustic song highlighting the beauty of their voices. This came out over the summer and it is still in heavy rotation, I simply cannot tire of it. I don't know if this is an 'Official Video', but it's the only one I can find for one of their songs.




Frank, AB

Myspace
Website

2 comments:

  1. Great band... but actually formed and live in Toronto. Nils did grow up in Alberta, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I guess I misunderstood at the show.

    ReplyDelete