Wednesday, January 6, 2010

9. Dark Was the Night


9. Dark Was the Night-
A Red Hot Compilation

Hmmm...this is not a release from a group proper, so maybe it shouldn't qualify, but I swear this is easily one of the best releases of the year. A 2 disc set (and each one I listened to enough to qualify it for the #9 spot). The Red Hot Organization is committed to awareness and support for AIDS/HIV and as of October, had raised $668,358 from the sale of the album. One would think this an amazing feat for a compilation for some charity, and I normally abhor such projects and at best consider them to be lackluster. However, this compilation has, not only, some of the best covers by some of my favorite artists, but many more of my favorite artists actually released original material for this compilation. I saw The Decemberists perform 'Sleepless' in San Francisco this year. The Cello Song by Nick Drake is covered by The Books and Jose Gonzales masterfully. Bon Iver's song is one of the best I've heard from him, and Spoon's song 'Well-Alright' ranks up there as one of their best efforts. Conor redoes Lua with Gilian Welch, slowing it waaayyyy down. I can go on and on. All I'm saying is buy this, it is so worth it and you'll be supporting a good cause at the same time.









Yo La Tengo-Gentle Hour

Myspace
Website

No comments:

Post a Comment