Wednesday, January 4, 2012

9. tUnE-yArDs

9. tUnE-yArDs - W H O K I L L

Merrill Garbus is the brainchild behind this band and is joined by bassist Nate Brenner. They have added a saxophone section with this, their sophomore album. To explain this music requires watching it, I believe, so I have included their NPR Tiny Desk concert as one of the videos below. Powerful lyrics about class struggle sung through one of the most diverse voices in the industry. Lots of folk, African rhythms, and reggae. She layers her sounds like a musical architect creating loops with her voice and percussion and ukulele. On top of that are heavy synths and intense, glorious perfection. If you haven't checked these guys out, they are some of the most innovative musicians out there right now. If I was just pointing and choosing my top five for the year, this would be one of them.

Tune-Yards - Gangsta by The Recommender

Website

Facebook

Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment