Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sick of Goodbyes: RIP Mark Linkous


I discovered Sparkelhorse with my penchant love for Grandaddy. Walked into Size one day and told Jim that I loved Grandaddy and Elbow and he recommended Sparklehorse's 'It's a Wonderful Life'. I listened to this album over and over again. My first trip to ACL, I got to see Sparklehorse perform live in the afternoon and bought 'Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain'. What a phenomenal album. Next year I went to Coachella and watched Mark perform at night in one of the canopies in a very intimate performance with red and blue lights as the backdrop. It was a very dark and eerie performance and I will never forget it. 'Don't Take My Sunshine Away' has been one of my favorite songs for years and always gave me hope. His music has always been dark and soulful. I've known he's battled with depression and chemical imbalance for years, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. I was hopeful because he was producing and doing so much collaborative work. Truly sad to see such an incredible artist go. His music has always impacted me either creatively or emotionally. Truly sad.



MP3: Go (collaboration with Sparklehorse and The Flaming Lips)
MP3: It's Not So Hard
MP3: Hammering the Cramps
MP3:Dark as a Dungeon (Johnny Cash cover)

No comments:

Post a Comment