Thursday, December 31, 2009

36. St. Vincent


36. St. Vincent-
Actor

Native Tulsa, Oklahoman, Annie Clark is St. Vincent. I fell in love with her watching her play guitar at Emo's for The Polyphonic Spree about four or five years ago. Then, in '07, she released 'Marry Me' (named after a line in the show Arrested Development). Seriously experimental, 'Marry Me' I listened to a few times and then shelved, only returning to it every now and then. When 'Actor' was released earlier this year, I expected more of the sonically dense fare from Ms. Clark, but was nicely surprised. I love the contrast between her beautiful voice and soft music countered by this heavy noise guitar. I don't mind challenging, experimental music, in fact, most of my library is full of it. So, I appreciate it, just don't have the time for it like I once did. This is a beautiful LP and made a lot of top 10 lists this year. I'm including both videos because they are both artistic masterpieces.



Actor Out Of Work



Marrow


Black Rainbow

Myspace
Website



No comments:

Post a Comment