Sunday, February 27, 2011

42. MGMT


42. MGMT - Congrat-ulations

MGMT (pronounced by sounding out each letter individually) is from the music mecca of this country, Brooklyn, NY. Andrew VanWyngarden and Ben Goldwasser are the founding members of this group. 'Congratulations' probably made everyone's list, but for very different reasons than their debut might have two years ago. Unlike their dance pop freshman effort, 'Congratulations' is a dark retro British 60's psychedelic pop masterpiece. The first time I listened to this, I, of course was expecting something with a groove for me to catch on to. It wasn't until I really paid close attention that I realized they had not only gone for a completely different genre of music, but did so in a way that modernized it and still had their influence and talent. This is a band to watch in the coming years. I'm calling it now.



MP3 removed by request

Myspace
Website

No comments:

Post a Comment